Douglas Brand: Design

May 12, 2014 at 7:58am
0 notes

Video showing the mashing function of the Jiva.

7:55am
1 note

Video showing the stirring function of the Jiva.

6:11am
3 notes

My final piece consisted of a teacup designed by various aspects of Ayahuasca. The cup itself was intended to be thrown, but due to time constraints had to be rapid protoyped. The inner piece was also done on the rapid prototyper, though this was the intentions due to a lack of experience on the machine. I am very happy with the final outcome of this project, and feel it has served me well in terms of learning new skills and bettering myself at researching and time management.

6:07am
0 notes

Another process I aimed to incorporate into my final design was wood lathing, something I had previous experience in but not yet felt I had pushed myself to my limits with. The creation of this tea stirrer was my most intricate process yet, but after much care I was able to produce the final piece as intended and am very happy with the final piece.

6:03am
1 note

This project would utilise the process of throwing ceramics, a skill I had not yet learned. While frustrating at first, once I’d became more knowledgable about the process and aware of my own capabilities I found it far easier to achieve the desired forms. Though by no means an expert, I definitely have a far better grasp on this material and a greater understanding of the limitations of the process.

5:59am
0 notes

Self Directed

My next project was to be that of my own choice. I decided to focus on the Jivaro’s use of the psychedelic tea Ayahuasca. Through this research I aimed to create a final ceramic piece that represented some element of this drink, while also functioning as an innovative way of serving tea. 

5:57am
0 notes

The perspex body of the bottle after being lasercut. The next step was to then waterproof the final piece, with this being far more difficult than I imagined. After utlising numerous techniques such as glue, welding and bending plastic I accepted defeat and decided to utilise a different material for the inside, broken glass to resemble the broken lives caused by alcoholism.

5:55am
0 notes

I also designed a bottletop, based off a Famous Grouse lid, to be rapid prototyped and placed on top of the final piece. This was to also incorporate the skull logo previously utilised in the label, to create a sense of branding on the overall piece.

5:53am
0 notes
For my final piece I began thinking of ways to display facts about alcohol on the bottles, much in the way it is done to cigarette packaging. I decided to reinterpret a whiskey label, with the previous information being replaced by a reminder of how bad Scottish drinking is in comparison with the rest of the UK. I decided to further this message by making the bottle coffin shaped. On the back I then placed markers that would signified by floating vegetable oil on top of water, the oil represent Scotland’s whisky trade in this scenario. Levels were then to be engraved on the back, to clarify what these differing levels represented.

For my final piece I began thinking of ways to display facts about alcohol on the bottles, much in the way it is done to cigarette packaging. I decided to reinterpret a whiskey label, with the previous information being replaced by a reminder of how bad Scottish drinking is in comparison with the rest of the UK. I decided to further this message by making the bottle coffin shaped. On the back I then placed markers that would signified by floating vegetable oil on top of water, the oil represent Scotland’s whisky trade in this scenario. Levels were then to be engraved on the back, to clarify what these differing levels represented.

5:49am
0 notes

My idea was to project the defining statistic, that of there being 1,080 alcohol related deaths in Scotland in 2012, onto the wall, with the rest of the shade being made up of smaller facts that fed into this large one. I utilised a stencil font to ensure the letters were cut out correctly, and filled as much space as I could with relevant facts. I also added a pie chart to the back of the piece. This was then laser-cut, with the card being spray-painted black. The result is an object I feel draws a lot of attention to itself, and effectively displays the information as intended.